We have written this article with prenatal students in mind, but the same guidelines apply for any yoga student with low blood pressure.
Make sure that if a student is faint or dizzy or tells you that they have low blood pressure that you encourage them to talk with their healthcare provider.
In a Yoga Class:
• keep transitions slow and gentle
• encourage full yogic breathing
• avoid excessive exertion (best for most prenatal yoga classes)
• lie on left side and/or avoid lying flat on back (prop up)
(especially in 2nd and 3rd trimester)
Tips to share with your student:
• stay hydrated
• ensure you are getting enough vitamins
• eat small low-carb meals
• avoid getting overheated (including hot baths and showers)
Current guidelines identify normal blood pressure as lower than 120/80 mm Hg (mayoclinic.org)